Chicago weather can be hard on your roof. How long your roof lasts depends upon a few important factors:
1. The age of the roof — every roofing system will eventually fail due to age, the coverings and the joints won’t last forever.
2. Storms — a single hail storm or extreme high winds can either remove the shingle’s asphalt coating, loosen or even tear off pieces of shingles.
3. Poor workmanship — the quality of the installation is as important as the products themselves. Hastily applied shingles and flashing can lead to leaks within a short period of time.
4. Defective materials — most national brands are good products. But installing defective products purchased on the cheap but a contractor trying to cut some cost corners can lead to failure.
5. Failure to install proper, working gutters and roof ventilation — a gutter system will move water off the roof and adequate ventilation will keep the roof at the same temperature as the outdoor temperature, stopping the roof from premature wear.
6. Abuse or neglect — roofs should be periodically inspected and maintained. Ice jams in the winter or clogged gutters in the fall need to be noticed and fixed before they lead to bigger problems.
When you have a roofing problem, you are facing three potential processes — repair, restoration or re-roofing.
If your existing roofing system needs a little work done on just one section, or on just one element, such as caulking or fixing some flashing that is causing a leak, then you just need some repair work done.
Some companies will do restoration work where they examine and Chicago Roofing repair many sections of the roofing system including re-flashing, repairing the penetrations to the surface from chimneys and plumbing pipes, and applying coatings to needed areas. Restoration can extend the life of an overall decent roof.
Re-roofing is installing an entirely new roof. In some cases, a new, second layer of shingles may be applied over the existing first layer of shingles. Most Dane Chicago roofing Contractors will prefer to completely tear off the existing roof and install a brand new one.